Thursday, September 4, 2014

In what way can I best serve my neighbour?

In what way can I best serve my neighbour? I rarely, if ever, think about my work/career/vocation/calling in this way.

A second way of thinking about whether you should consider a particular vocation is in terms of your affinity, ability, and opportunity. Do you have an affinity for this vocation? How much does it interest you? Do you have the abilities to perform the functions required? And do you have the opportunity to follow that path where you are now? Or would it mean relocating? Or is it a matter of timing? Of course the levels of these 3 can change during your life. You may have to take time to develop your abilities. Specific job opportunities come and go. And you may find an affinity for something new you never felt before.

In bringing these two ways of thinking about vocation together, I believe that God can use your personal affinities, abilities, and opportunities to show you how to best serve your neighbour.

But sometimes, what God shows you isn’t what you had planned all along. Rather than joy and excitement, this can bring fear, uncertainty, and maybe even anger (towards God, yourself, or others). This is not what I had envisioned for my life! What about all the years I invested in my education, work experience,...?! What will my parents think?

I can only pray for grace today and seek comfort and wisdom in the Holy Spirit. Figuring out my calling or whatever future vocation is frustrating, but above all, I hope my life in Christ, today and always, honours God and extends love to my neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment